 Robotics / 8091
Re: tracking robot position
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 15:31:46 GMT

Vlad Dumitrescu <vladdu@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi all!

I had an idea last night, and I think something good might come out of it, • with
so many smart people around! *s*

I need a way to track the position of my robot, and I realized that • attaching
the PC mouse to it might do the trick!

Without hardware intervention, the only way is to have a cord going to the • PC
thus limiting the range and the elegance(!?) of the solution - maybe it is
possible to just use the mouse sensors and wheels as "home-made" rotation
sensors and plug them directly to the RCX?

Hi Vlad,

the main problem I see in using a mouse for dead reckoning is that you
cannot register the rotation on its own vertical axis. So this solution is,
by principle, not working. If you're not convinced, try with your mouse: you
can make the arrow reach the same point on the screen in very different
actual positions of the mouse on your table (if you rotate it).

Surely you can take apart your mouse and build two custom rotation sensors.
In this case you can use them on a simple differential drive and apply its
well known equations for dead reckoning.

Months ago I made some experiments with such a vehicle. If you are
interested, this links brings you directly to the proper page on my site:

http://www.geocities.com/~marioferrari/s7.html

I used legOS to support the trig necessary to compute the position and
heading. The code is not available on the site, but I'll be glad to send it
via email to anyone who ask for it.

Mario
http://www.geocities.com/~marioferrari