 Robotics / 8092
8091  |  8093
Subject:
DDK or RDS????
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 17:43:21 GMT

Hi,

Forgive me if this has been covered before, but has anyone out there put together
any kind of a comparison of the capabilities and limitations of RCX, Scout, and
Micro Scout?

I already have a Mindstorms kit and this coming Christmas I want to buy either an
RDS or DDK for my 10 year old. I can only afford one, so I have to make the painful
choice between the two. I'm hoping that all you experts out there can help me make
the choice. I'm sure he would like the Star Wars theme of the DDK to begin with,
but might be happier with the RDS in the long run because it can "play" with the
RCX.

I've been lurking on this list for a while have read several messages discussing
the recently discovered positives about the Scout and how it can be a great
addition to the RCX. On the other hand, I can't remember anyone saying much about
the micro scout and DDK other than they were disappointed that R2D2 only has half
of his head. Can the micro scout and RCX communicate? Can it be programmed through
a PC?

I did read where Jack Gregory wrote:

Basically, what looked like a stupid, incompatible toy has turned into a
pretty smart little brother.  Even the micro-Scout looks better now.

Help!

Richard