 Robotics / 8070
Re: Scout Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 16:57:41 GMT

James C. Jones <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
news:v01540b01b44f12c59d60@[168.184.121.26]...
I sent this message earlier, but since I received no responses, I am not
sure I am getting out.  Please respond to my neophyte questions!

It got out.

Ok.  I am still a newbie, but I am slowly getting addicted to Legos,
Mindstroms, etc.  (Now if I can only convince my wife that I REALLY need • to
spend $200 for a 2nd RCX.......)
Anyway, I am confused.  I thought that the Scout wasn't worth the time of
day, since the RCX has much more to offer.  Yet, I see a lot of discussion
on the Scout, the upcoming Development software, etc.

So, What gives?  Is it worth the bucks to buy one, why, and if I have to
buy a scout and a second RCX, will my wife not have me committed.......?

Your wifely problems of off-topic ;-)

The reason the Scout is now interesting is because LEGO has announced that
they will not only provide an RIS-style interface to allow it to be
programmed from a PC, but that it also has built-in support for priority
tasking, which means that the holy grail of "subsumption" is possible
without writing our own OS.  I won't go into subsumption here; see the book
by Anita Flynn, et al.

Basically, what looked like a stupid, incompatible toy has turned into a
pretty smart little brother.  Even the micro-Scout looks better now.

Buy them all.  This is the "heyday" of hobby robotics.

--Jack Gregory