 Robotics / 8034
    Re: building a maze —Seymour Papert
   Use a virtual maze -- for a suitably programmed robot a line drawn on paper is as good as one made of stone. ---...--- (...) have (...) but (...) possible to (...) please (...) (25 years ago, 9-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: building a maze —Vlad Dumitrescu
     (...) Yep, but I need the light sensor for other stuff, namely to keep track of the position of the robot using a checkerboard pattern on the floor. And in any case I would need two light sensors, because I want the robot to be a little smarter than (...) (25 years ago, 9-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        RE: building a maze —Ralph Hempel
   (...) Ahhh, now that Mr. Papert is involved I'll HAVE to get my mazewalker posted. I did just that and was able to invert the problem and move the maze under the robot. Have a look at (URL) for some introductory slides I made for Mindfest. I promise (...) (25 years ago, 9-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: building a maze —Vlad Dumitrescu
     (...) It would be great to learn more about your robot! However, one of the things you mention in the document as limitations, namely the incremental errors when a robot moves around, I consider to be just the crux of the matter. Navigating a maze (...) (25 years ago, 9-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

         RE: building a maze —Ralph Hempel
     (...) Yes, but it makes the whole problem MUCH harder. I prefer to solve the simple problem first, then add things like location errors later :-) (...) My bot uses all standard RIS parts except for 2 micrmotors and 2 rot sensors. You could get away (...) (25 years ago, 9-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: building a maze —Philippe Jadin
   So, finally, someone managed to build a bot which walks into a virtual maze... Sound great, and looks like what I launched some weeks ago : the lab chalenge... I'm still trying this, but it's quite hard to have your bot do the right things. If (...) (25 years ago, 11-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: building a maze —Vlad Dumitrescu
     (...) Well, obviously I am, even if the maze is still not ready! :-) And the navigation system is still shaky... I plan to start a site about my project soon (maybe this weekend), a WikiWikiWeb so that anyone can contribute! /Vlad (25 years ago, 12-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: building a maze —Richard Sutherland
    Your challenge inspired me to give it a try. I decided to make an actual moving robot that would navigate the full 8x8 maze. I constructed a section of the maze and went to work. I hope to have pictures soon, but here is a little information. Not (...) (25 years ago, 12-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: building a maze —Paul Speed
   Interesting, About your positioning problem... perhaps you can mark down the center of the "hallways" with a different color than is used for the walls. This way you can use standard line following methods to keep your 'bot centered within the (...) (25 years ago, 12-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: building a maze —Richard Sutherland
    That's a great idea. As it is, the light sensor 'arm' is in the forward position during travel, so I could use it to track a line down the center of the squares. I suppose I could put a colored dot on the line where the light sensor ends up if the (...) (25 years ago, 12-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: building a maze —Vlad Dumitrescu
   (...) I tried using different colors, but it is difficult to make it work because of the limited range values of the light sensor. I got plenty of false readings, and I would like to be able to sense what is to be sensed without stopping... It (...) (25 years ago, 13-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: building a maze —Vlad Dumitrescu
   How about moving the discussion to the LegoRobotics Wiki? There are both advantages and disadvantages... Anyway, there's a page there now... (URL) (25 years ago, 13-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)