 Robotics / 7999
Re: Categorizing uploaded robot images on legomindstorms.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 16:41:58 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Russell Stoll writes:
Folks,

We'd like to categorize the robot/invention photos that have been uploaded to
legomindstorms.com.  I've come up with a tentative list of categories that I
wanted to show the group before we begin the process of tagging the existing
collection.  Thanks for your help.

This is great, and the community welcomes your participation.

My comments on these categories:

- Although there may not be examples yet there, most of my use of the
brick is in the area of automation... train control programs, automation
of things like coal unloaders, transfer tables and the like. The GMLTC
uses 3 RCXs in the roundhouse project which automates turntable and
locomotive operations for unnatended display purposes. You could argue
that these uses fall into "useful machines" but that misses the sense, I
think. Consider a simulated assembly line, where would you put that one?

- Some of the groupings seem orthogonal, that is, they are attributes
rather than categories so it would be good if you allow a thing to have
more than one.
For example the Ferrari brothers Tic Tac Toe machine is a "game", but it
also is "programmed with NQC", and it has "Grabbing ability" and "crane"
aspects to it as well.

Although someone else suggested a tree of categories, I think that,
alone, would be too restrictive. Set up several trees instead.