 Robotics / 7967
Re: LEGO RCX Skydivers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 10:00:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Brown writes:
Ian Sinclair wrote:

Wouldn't it be very cool to design and build LEGO Mindstorms
Skydivers!

Ummmm... I am acutally finishing an RCX controlled hang-glider at the moment. •  (Well,
maybe "controlled" is pushing it a bit far, but it does bank it right and • left.)   The RCX
is heavy because you have the six alkaline AAs in it, so I took the batteries • out -- then
it's a much easier project.  What you do is take out the AAs and run the RCX • from a 9V
battery plugged into the AC/DC connector on the RCX (use a 9V battery • connector to one of
the dark-blue-tipped RadioShack adaptaplugs).  The 9V battery gives you enough • juice to
run the RCX and power a micromotor to do the weight shifting.  BTW, zinc • carbons are about
6 grams lighter than alkalines. If anyone has a lot of battery expertise and • has any tips
on how to get the weight of the battery pack down even further, please let me • know.

I have flown it 6 times now from my third floor balcony -- the best flight • time was 4.5
seconds (and that was a looooong 4.5 seconds).  I know it's not exactly the • Wright
brothers, but each trip has been a flight rather than plummet.  I have the • glider torn
down now to try and optimize the center of balance.  The next decent wind day • here in
Chicago, I plan to send it up to about 100 ft on a static line and see how it • copes.

BTW, the RCX is fine -- getting the weight down by taking out the AAs really • reduces the
g-shock on landing.  The garden, however, has a well-dispersed crop of Lego • elements
hiding under the leaves (thank you, TLG, for coloring the Micromotors red!).

Cheers

JP

Hi Ian

Do you have a picture of your hang-glider with rcx?
What are you controlling? The rudder? and in the input are coming from what
parameters?
I am not so experienced with rcx but may be I may help about rc models.

Bye

Marco