 General / 9732
Re: LEGO RCX Skydivers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 22:47:08 GMT

I was really skeptical of this whole concept when I saw your first post, but
this sounds GREAT! I'd love to see your creation in .dat form.  Is the micro
motor strong enough to recover from a spiral as well?  Some specs on your
kite and bridle set up would be of interest too.  You may have created a new
sport, autonomous stunt kite flying.

Rick Kirkwood
Jax Bch FL

----- Original Message -----
From: JP Brown <envcons@csi.com>
To: <lugnet.general@lugnet.com>; <lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 06, 1999 10:28 AM
Subject: Re: LEGO RCX Skydivers

Hi Marco

The RCX is slung underneath the "glider" (actually a 2 meter delta stunt • kite).  It has
one micromotor plugged into OUT_B (i.e., the micromotor contacts are • fitted directly onto
the OUT_B contacts so the center of the motor's rotation is vertically • upwards).  A cam is
fitted on top of the mocromotor with 2-stud axle -- the far end of the cam • is attached to
bridle lines which go to the left and right spars of the delta.

I don't directly control the RCX, it is programmed to to stay straight for • one second, and
then shift the cam slightly to the left -- this shifts the wieght of the • RCX relative to
the center of gravity of the kite,  thus putting the kite into a banking • spiral.  The RCX
also beeps every half second so that I have a way of calculating the • flight time.  If you
want more info, I can post a dat of the RCX to one of the CAD sections.

Cheers

JP