 Robotics / 7963
Re: LEGO RCX Skydivers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 05:12:42 GMT

Ian Sinclair wrote:

Wouldn't it be very cool to design and build LEGO Mindstorms
Skydivers!

Ummmm... I am acutally finishing an RCX controlled hang-glider at the moment.  (Well,
maybe "controlled" is pushing it a bit far, but it does bank it right and left.)   The RCX
is heavy because you have the six alkaline AAs in it, so I took the batteries out -- then
it's a much easier project.  What you do is take out the AAs and run the RCX from a 9V
battery plugged into the AC/DC connector on the RCX (use a 9V battery connector to one of
the dark-blue-tipped RadioShack adaptaplugs).  The 9V battery gives you enough juice to
run the RCX and power a micromotor to do the weight shifting.  BTW, zinc carbons are about
6 grams lighter than alkalines. If anyone has a lot of battery expertise and has any tips
on how to get the weight of the battery pack down even further, please let me know.

I have flown it 6 times now from my third floor balcony -- the best flight time was 4.5
seconds (and that was a looooong 4.5 seconds).  I know it's not exactly the Wright
brothers, but each trip has been a flight rather than plummet.  I have the glider torn
down now to try and optimize the center of balance.  The next decent wind day here in
Chicago, I plan to send it up to about 100 ft on a static line and see how it copes.

BTW, the RCX is fine -- getting the weight down by taking out the AAs really reduces the
g-shock on landing.  The garden, however, has a well-dispersed crop of Lego elements
hiding under the leaves (thank you, TLG, for coloring the Micromotors red!).

Cheers

JP