 Robotics / 7899
Re: Palm Pilot to RCX remote controller
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 05:42:40 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
Are there any other RCX <-> Palm Pilot projects under development?

I am working on a program for the Palm OS that will provide remote
control of the RCX and the Scout. As to not duplicate the efforts of
others, my program will use the internal IR port of the PalmIII series
and above.

The focus of this program will be to give more options of control than
the "9738 LEGO Mindstorms Remote Control" such as allowing all 256 RCX
message codes to be sent. Also, the interface will have large buttons
that can be pressed with a finger instead of having to use a stylus.

I will be posting a link to a web site with screen shots and more
information here at lugnet.robotics within the week.

Anyone had any success getting a Palm Pilot to talk to a Scout or a
MicroScout?

Using OmniRemote on the Palm I have had only limited success controlling
the Scout. The LEGO Remote is the best option so far for the Scout. For
those that don't know, Eric Brok has provided the most extensive
information on the Scout to date at:
http://homepages.svc.fcj.hvu.nl/brok/legomind/robo

Should the /palm/ part be moved down a level, beneath some more
general category for all IR control devices, or is Palm Computing®
such a huge thing that all other IR devices are merely also-rans?

The Palm OS has recently upgraded with greater compliance with IrDA
protocols ref: http://www.irda.org/ . This means that communication with
any IR device will only improve. My vote is to keep the /palm/ level as
is because im sure more Palm programs will be popping up that can
remotely control Mindstorms devices. Now if we could only convince TLG
to make the RCX IrDA compliant, this all would be much easier!

Robert Eddings