 Robotics / 7885
  Palm Pilot to RCX remote controller

Hi, since so many people responded and many of you have asked for a pre-release version, I've decided to release a version of the Palm Pilot remote as it stands right now. This program does *not* use the built-in IR port of the Palm. You must attach (...) (25 years ago, 3-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Palm Pilot to RCX remote controller

(...) That reminds me, I've collected a few Palm links over the past months, so I just created a little page for these: (URL) far as I know, there are at least 3 ways to use the Palm Pilot in connection with the RCX: 1. OmniRemote 2. Mike's program (...) (25 years ago, 4-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Palm Pilot to RCX remote controller

(...) The Palm thing is pretty huge. I think they have around 80% of the handheld market. I wouldn't move it down a level. Mike (25 years ago, 4-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Palm Pilot to RCX remote controller

(...) I am working on a program for the Palm OS that will provide remote control of the RCX and the Scout. As to not duplicate the efforts of others, my program will use the internal IR port of the PalmIII series and above. The focus of this program (...) (25 years ago, 4-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Palm Pilot to RCX remote controller

Hi Robert, If I had known you were working on this too, I probably wouldn't have started my program: (URL) have an older Palm without the IR but I had heard bad things about the range of the IR for practical remote control. Do you have the IR (...) (25 years ago, 4-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Palm Pilot to RCX remote controller

Hi Mike, I have found that the range on the PalmIIIx to the RCX is quite useable. In medium to low light levels the RCX will respond consistently up to 20 feet away. When I started working on the Palm Remote program I had no idea you were doing the (...) (25 years ago, 4-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Palm Pilot to RCX remote controller

Todd Lehman writes: [snip] > 3. Vadim Strizhevsky's & Owen Stenseth's RCXLib (not sure of the > current status) > > Sad to say, but it is more or less dead. No effort or coding for it has been done since, oh probably New Years time. Both Owen and (...) (25 years ago, 4-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  How to communicate sensor value changes to RCX Tower

Hello all, I am a mindstorm newbie and have just started writing a high level Java toolkit for mindstorms. It is based on RCXPort by Scott Lewis at the lowest level. Kudos to Scott for a greta job and for helping me get boot-strapped. The toolkit is (...) (25 years ago, 5-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How to communicate sensor value changes to RCX Tower

I believe that Variable 0 can be used as a flag and there is a special way to constantly poll for a change in that value. Perhaps you could have a task that logs all sensor values into the RCX DataLog and use Variable 0 to indicate when the DataLog (...) (25 years ago, 5-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

Farrukh S. Najmi <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message news:3822F0C7.A06551...sun.com... (...) I doubt you can beat just polling it to death. Anything else might be a little more efficient, but will probably introduce delay and complexity. (...) (25 years ago, 6-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Palm Pilot to RCX remote controller

Mike, I am curious what are the issues preventing you from using the built in IR port of the Palm to communicate with the RCX. I am writing a Java toolkit for mindstorms for teaching kids to write OO prgrams in Java. I plan to port it to the Palm at (...) (25 years ago, 8-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

Hi, My issue was that I have an older Palm without the built in IR! Robert Eddings has played with the built-in IR though, and may have more insight. Robert? Mike Farrukh S. Najmi <najmi@east.sun.com> wrote in message news:FKvsDt.9H0@lugnet.com... (...) (25 years ago, 8-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Palm Pilot to RCX remote controller

-Cross posted to lugnet.robotics.palm -Please respond to this post only in lugnet.robotis.palm As others have stated, The Palm IR is IrDA compliant and the RCX IR is not. But compliant doesn't mean fixed. The Palm OS SDK documentation shows that the (...) (25 years ago, 8-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.palm)

  Re: How to communicate sensor value changes to RCX Tower

Hi, For another Java-to-RCX library, try Dario Laverde's stuff: (URL) Unofficial Guide to LEGO MINDSTORMS Robots (2 URLs) (25 years ago, 12-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)