 Robotics / 7319
Re: !!! Laser attachments for Mindstorms !!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 15:58:30 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Chris Osborn) writes:

<...snip>
The next thing I did was I mounted a mirror on the end of the motor
axle instead of the laser. I actually just broke an AOL CD to
get the mirror. AOL CDs make really good mirrors, and I was able
to file it down to about the size of a 2x2 plate.

This is the best use I've heard of yet for an AOL CD!

One of the things I did though was to setup a method so I could
vary the angle of the mirror on the end of the motor *while* the
motor was spinning. I wanted to be able to aim the laser straight
towards the motor, and have it bounce off and make a cone. But I
needed to be able to adjust the diameter of the cone on the fly.
The whole idea was that somehow I would get this thing suspended
over the top of a Christmas tree, and use the laser to mark where
it needed to be trimmed. This has yet to happen however.

My parents grow Christmas trees in their backyard, but almost never
go out and shape them. And of course I thought a perfectly shaped
tree would be cool.

And if you use one of those nifty, high-powered, rock-vaporizing lasers, you
won't even need to bring pruning shears!

One of the neat things I found though was that if I bounced the
laser from an angle, I could get cool eliptical cones. Probably
even better for Christmas trees, you'd have flattish trees that
you could smash right up against the wall or window.

Actually, a friend of mine likes to glue mirrors onto the cones of cheap
speakers, and then he aims a laser at the mirror and plays his stereo through
it.  If you do it right, you get a pretty cool visual display that goes along
with the music.