 Robotics / 7318
Re: LEGO robotics dis'd in CACM Forum.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 20:59:12 GMT

Jeffrey Hazen wrote:
Sure, if you are trying to develop a high precision pick-and-place robot,
Lego isn't going to do it for you.  But isn't that the point!  This is a
wonderful, intellectually stimulating TOY.  My RIS cost $200.00.  A two
axis stepper control card from Parker Automation $1600.00, motors, stepper
drives, and software not included.

The interesting thing about Lego in an educational setting, is that it is
going to keep you engaged because it is fun.  The school can justify the
expense because of the relative low cost.  For an intro to programming and
robotic systems, I don't think you can beat the performance and value.

I agree with this. I think that LEGO is probably one of the best tools
for trying out ideas too. It is fast build and easy to modify - nothing
beats that.

Jacob

--
/* Our e-mail addresses have changed.  anne.jacob@get2net is only for
messages which are ment for both of us. Anne's mail should be sent to