 Robotics / 7075
Re: What about the Micro Scout?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 16:06:34 GMT

Dennis Clark wrote:
IMHO, its a waste of plastic.  The whole DDK is a big disappointment to • me.
The Microscout has 7 programs built in that do just about everything you • can
expect it to do with a single motor and a single light sensor - which is • to
say, not very much.  There is a 'P' mode for future programability • expansion,
but the Lego folks say that the RCX can't talk to it, but, someday, maybe, • the
Scout will be able to, they think...  Support doesn't seem to know any • more
than we do on the issue - we'll have to see, still, what can it do really?

I agree with Dennis in full. The MicroScout is *very* limited, suitable for
kids. My 6 and 8 children love it but...

  As for the rest of the DDK, average.  I am really bummed that you only • get
HALF of the R2D2 Dome!  Half!  What on Earth are they thinking at LEGO?! • It
does look pretty good from the front, but at any other angle it looks • kinda
twisted.

...they too are badly disappointed by the half R2-D2 head!
BTW, I think this is the 20th message where Dennis expresses his
(well-funded) disappointment about the half R2-D2 head :-)

All that stated, I find the DDK has a good range of pieces, mainly white. I
would have preferred it as a RIS Expansion Set, with no MicroScout (and
complete RD-D2 head!). But I'm 39 an imagine the set is targeted to younger
kids...

Mario
http://www.geocities.com/~marioferrari