 Robotics / 7069
Re: What about the Micro Scout?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 15:22:23 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Matthews writes:
I have seen comments about the Scout, which seems to be the RCX's little
brother.  Same size, lesser capabilities.

Has anyone had experience with the Micro Scout?  This little guy seems like
a good companion to the RCX, with its built in motor and light sensor.  I am
assuming it can take commands from the RCX as well.

Comments, insights?

  IMHO, its a waste of plastic.  The whole DDK is a big disappointment to me.
The Microscout has 7 programs built in that do just about everything you can
expect it to do with a single motor and a single light sensor - which is to
say, not very much.  There is a 'P' mode for future programability expansion,
but the Lego folks say that the RCX can't talk to it, but, someday, maybe, the
Scout will be able to, they think...  Support doesn't seem to know any more
than we do on the issue - we'll have to see, still, what can it do really?
  As for the rest of the DDK, average.  I am really bummed that you only get
HALF of the R2D2 Dome!  Half!  What on Earth are they thinking at LEGO?!  It
does look pretty good from the front, but at any other angle it looks kinda
twisted.

IM(Disappointed)O,
DLC