 Robotics / 6909
Re: RCX 'brick connectors' and how-they-work??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 02:15:04 GMT

OK, I have a pretty good working solution.
I used "contact cement": The SOLVENT kind,
not the Water Based kind.  I did two experiments
in attaching .002 inch thick copper foil to
the Lego bricks. The copper foil has a self-
adhesive coating to start with, with a peel-off
backing. This did NOT adhere well by itself, even
with good cleaning of the brick surfaces.

1. Clean the brick surfaces well with 'Goof-Off'
   solvent (aggressive, removes a little brick
   color, leaves hazy surface). Coat well with
   contact cement, allow to dry for 10 minutes
   (hardly even tacky). Apply copper foil, burnish
   down well.

2. Same as 1. with no pre-clean, just apply contact
   cement to a new brick.

My unofficial pull-off test shows 1. is definitely best,
with strong adhesion; I worried I'd rip the foil pulling
it off at right angles.  BUT, 2. is pretty darn good,
maybe 70% as strong, probably because the contact cement
has a pretty aggressive solvent.

SO: I have a couple of 2x2 bricks that plug easily on top
of the RCX connectors (or the extension cables), and I have
a couple of LED and Incandescent lights to blink!

When I get my hands on a camera, I'll write this up. I plan to develop
more sensors and actuators, the Real Fun...

Thanks for all the suggestions!

--
Terry King   ...In The Woods In Vermont