 Robotics / 6767
Re: show-me training
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 12:24:36 GMT

Robert Munafo wrote:
The point is, you have an easy way to make a robot imitate behavior that you
show it, thus the name "show me", and reprogramming is about as easy and
intuitive as it could possibly get.

This is in fact used for some industrial robots (welders, etc) on assembly
lines.  It also seems a lot like the motion control camera systems pioneered
by ILM for Star Wars.

The real problem is that it is difficult to generalize the behaviors - does the
robot move forward until Button A is pressed, or just for 5 seconds?  What does
it do at the end of the recorded behavior?  Etc.

It's great for cyclic behaviors, or sporadic actions, but a line-following maze
runner might be very hard to produce with this method.

--
Pete Hardie                   |   Goalie, DVSG Dart Team
Scientific Atlanta            |