 Robotics / 6770
Re: show-me training
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 18:09:16 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Alex Wetmore writes:
On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, GAUTHIER wrote:
    This is a great idea. I was just wondering if you meant to make a
replacment firmware to accomplish this or just write a program? I would
be extremely interested in this project. Thanks

I'm hoping to start trying out the idea in NQC. That means no replacement
firmware. However, I want to make it eventually use all five devices that come
standard with the Robotics Invention System (two motors, two touch, one light)
and it looks like 32 variables isn't enough to compute and model 6
linear-regression functions.

I would expect that a simple version of this could be done using
LegOS, or even NQC (although the NQC one would have a very limited
program size due to the max of 32 variables).

Yep -- exctly

You would have to use two of the inputs on your RCX for rotation
sensors to keep track of the wheel movements when the robot is
being pushed around.  It might be a good handyboard project for
this reason (more inputs).

No, definitely NOT! That's a terrible waste of inputs!

The motors generate voltage when you turn them (assuming they've been turned
off with the FLOAT method rather than the OFF method). This voltage can be
combined with the touch sensors and the two extra buttons (TEACH and GO) using
an appropriate resistor network. That's one button, one sensor and one motor
feedback-voltage per input port. The ports would be put into RAW mode. The
third input port is used for the light sensor.

During TEACH mode, each input has to be fed through some type of function to
seperate it into the touch sensor value and the motor value. You don't have to
worry about seperating out the TEACH and GO buttons. I haven't worked out the
formula.

- Robert Munafo                           http://www.mrob.com/
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13