 Robotics / 6756
  show-me training

The recent discussion about the Scout got me to thinking of a type of robot programming that would be really cool, really simple and intuitive, and really easy to implement. I'm not sure what to call it, but I'm sure someone's probably thought of it (...) (25 years ago, 7-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: show-me training

Hi, This is a great idea. I was just wondering if you meant to make a replacment firmware to accomplish this or just write a program? I would be extremely interested in this project. Thanks Nicolas Gauthier (25 years ago, 8-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: show-me training

(...) I would expect that a simple version of this could be done using LegOS, or even NQC (although the NQC one would have a very limited program size due to the max of 32 variables). You would have to use two of the inputs on your RCX for rotation (...) (25 years ago, 8-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: show-me training

(...) This is in fact used for some industrial robots (welders, etc) on assembly lines. It also seems a lot like the motion control camera systems pioneered by ILM for Star Wars. The real problem is that it is difficult to generalize the behaviors - (...) (25 years ago, 8-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: show-me training

(...) Yes, I agree completely. This wasn't meant to be a replacement for real programming -- just a good idea for a kid's toy. It would probably make a great replacement for the Scout's current interface. I think it would be a lot better, in fact, (...) (25 years ago, 8-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: show-me training

(...) I'm hoping to start trying out the idea in NQC. That means no replacement firmware. However, I want to make it eventually use all five devices that come standard with the Robotics Invention System (two motors, two touch, one light) and it (...) (25 years ago, 8-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: show-me training

(...) Ah, yes. And it would be a nice feature for behavioral 'subroutines', like collision reaction (on BUMP, steer left and backup) (25 years ago, 8-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: show-me training

(...) Actually, to be proper for the "Brooksian" subsumption behaviour, it would be behavioural tasks that didn't talk to each other or share state... DLC (25 years ago, 8-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: show-me training

I know that the RCX is the state of the art LEGO computer, but I happen to have a CyberMaster and I noticed all you have said about the Show-me Training (R) applies perfectly to the CyberMaster and much better than the RCX since no extra inputs need (...) (25 years ago, 9-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Cybermaster for show-me training

(...) No "(R)" please! "show-me" is registered six times as a trademark (display stands, restaurant services, spot lights, AV equipment rental, baseball exhibition, and barbeque sauce -- really!) so let's not get any of them upset (-: (...) Does the (...) (25 years ago, 9-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Cybermaster for show-me training

(...) And let's not forget Missouri, the "Show Me" state: (URL) I've drifted off topic and I can't get up! (25 years ago, 9-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Cybermaster for show-me training & What LEGO should create

(...) You can see the values change (by pooling) if you rotate the motors by hand, even if there is no program running at all. (...) This can be overcome with a little cheating! ;-D The PC could ask after each step what were the directions the (...) (25 years ago, 9-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: show-me training

(...) You can set up the touch sensor so it is pressed when the wheel rolls in one direction but not the other. With two touch sensors to detect the wheel directions, you still have one left for the bumper. (You can squeeze in more sensors by (...) (25 years ago, 10-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: show-me training

(...) How? (...) Yes, the CyberMaster touch sensors are all different from each other. :-) Laurentino Martins [ mailto:lau@mail.telepac.pt ] [ (URL) ] (25 years ago, 10-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: show-me training

(...) You connect the motor to a differential gear. One end of the differential gear turns the wheel; the other end turns something to press the sensor. Or you suspend the chassis with shock absorbers, then put sensors to detect the direction to (...) (25 years ago, 10-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: show-me training

Robert, this is usually referred to as "Learn Mode". For an example of this in a programmable Crane built from an old IBM Printer, see: (URL) of the page).... (...) (25 years ago, 12-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  RILYBOT 4 (was Re: show-me training

I now have a robot working using the intuitive training principles I described about 6 weeks ago in this thread. This robot will be at Mindfest. Here are the web pages describing what I've done so far: (URL) here is the current NQC program: (URL) (...) (25 years ago, 19-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)