 Robotics / 6274
RE: help me spend some money!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 13:10:49 GMT

My curriculum this year will be totally irrelevant.  This coming year I will be
teaching biology ( and believe me, this will be the blind leading the blind!)
This is because we are shifting bio from grades 10 to 9 and physical science
from 9 to 10, so this year we have nobody who needs phys. sci.  Normally I
teach physical science, which is watered down physics plus watered down
chemistry.  So I'm not sure how to work any of this stuff into bio, but I have
to use it for something this school year, according to the grant, so maybe
we'll just have a Play With Lego week, right before Christmas when the kids are
pretty useless anyway.  Karen

I hope by irellevant you mean there will be a curriculum but you are unsure of
the content!!! :-)

Bio, did you say bio? Here are some LEGO related bio ideas...

1. Actuators - how does the natural world move things? Hydraulics (simulate with
opneumatics, and no, dont get that thread giong again) muscles, tendons etc...

2. Sensors - how do insects see? or tell light from dark. I can see a scuttlebug
that hides from or is attracted to light.

3. Mechanics - how are joint problems solved in nature. Ball joints have 3 degrees
of freedom, hinges have only one...

4. Levers, how can we push and pull with our arms?

LOTSA stuff to cover there...

By the way, a REALLY interesting and decent read is Prof G.E. Gordons 2 Volume
set bublished by Penguin. It's still in print but a little hard to find. They are

1. The New Science of Strong Materials - Or Why You Don't Fall Through The Floor
2. Structues - Or Why Things Don't Fall Down

I'm not sure about the title of 2 but it has a lot of relevant info on the relationship
between the natural world and engineering materials, covered in an easy to read
style with LOTS of real-world anecdotes.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>