 Robotics / 6186
Re: help me spend some money!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 20:26:48 GMT

I've missed something:  What is TEAM CHALLENGE, and who has it?  I can't find
it in my pitsco catalog, but that's not saying its not there.
Karen

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com writes:
woodward@guesswork.com writes:

<< -However, the Dacta stuff tends to be much more expensive per part
than "regular" Lego kits like 9719, and storage is cheap.  (Try the
WorkForce Organizers, available at Home Depot.)  I strongly recommend,
before buying _any_ set of Lego parts, divide cost by number of pieces,
and if it's much more than, say, 30 cents a piece, reconsider.  Mindstorms
is a bit of an exception, as the RCX itself costs $120.  You end up
spending $120 on the RCX and $80 on the other 700 pieces, which is about
fair.>>

Wrong again.
The Team Challenge set has the EXACT same piece count as the RIS, includes
storage, an alternate constructopedia that is related to an activity pack
(essential for a school setting) and includes both MAC and PC cables.  This
set is the same price as the RIS ($20 with the discount from TRU). The cost
per part is irrelevant for a set if it doesn't work well in a classroom
environment.  You may be able to justify buying by the per piece cost, but
that doesn't work when you have 20 kids using the sets every day.  You need
some way of managing the materials and the activities.