 Robotics / 5897
    Locating your position with the help of fixed beacons (was Re: A RCX 'Beacon') —Robert Munafo
   (...) The simplest way to do this is to build a device that emits a sweeping light signal, similar to a lighthouse, and a blinking signal synchronized to the sweep. Unlike a lighthouse, you want it to sweep back and forth (otherwise there are (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Locating your position with the help of fixed beacons (was Re: A RCX 'Beacon') —Robert Munafo
     There are two corrections I have to make to this. The first is, probably pretty obvious but, the room has to be rather dark for it to work. Otherwise, the RCX won't see your light blinking because the room light will drown it out. The other (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Locating your position with the help of fixed beacons (was Re: A RCX 'Beacon') —Robert Munafo
   Someone asked me a question by email and I'm answering here, so as to benefit others. The question was, would the necessary algorithms fit in the RCX's memory and leave enough room for anything else? The necessary waveform analysis should be fairly (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Soda-can challenge: beacons, tethers, etc. (was Re: Locating your position with the help of fixed be —Robert Munafo
   Yet another comment about my "beacon" ideas. Yesterday I talked with someone who was involved in Joel Shafer's "soda can challenge" that was proposed in this message: (URL) learned that the primary reason people are trying to locate their *position* (...) (25 years ago, 2-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Soda-can challenge: beacons, tethers, etc. (was Re: Locating your position with the help of fixed be —Hao-yang Wang
     (...) How does the robot know if it has reached the destination, or if it has run into the emitter even? By a sudden change in the direction of the beacon? Cheers, Hao-yang Wang (25 years ago, 3-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Soda-can challenge: beacons, tethers, etc. (was Re: Locating your position with the help of fixed be —Robert Munafo
     (...) Once you return to the start point, you've already finished the task as Joel Shafer specified it. Anything that happens after that point would be irrelevant. I'll quote his specification again just in case people have forgotten: "Be the first (...) (25 years ago, 4-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Soda-can challenge: beacons, tethers, etc. (was Re: Locating your position with the help of fixed be —Hao-yang Wang
   (...) Some "secondary" reasons: 1) You may want to make sure that the entire area is covered. 2) If you bring back the soda cans one by one, you may want to resume your search from the location of the last soda can, instead of starting it all over. (...) (25 years ago, 3-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Soda-can challenge: beacons, tethers, etc. (was Re: Locating your position with the help of fixed be —Robert Munafo
     I realize people have been talking about multiple cans, but Joel's message (URL) actually specified just one can, using the words "find a [...] can", "pick up the can", and "[...] of the coke can". As for making sure the whole area is covered, (...) (25 years ago, 4-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Soda-can challenge: beacons, tethers, etc. (was Re: Locating your position with the help of fixed be —Joel Shafer
   (...) You can find the complete rules here: (URL) are three cans to retrieve. (...) Advanced knowledge that there are exactly three cans makes it easier. You don't have to make sure that the whole area is covered, you just have to find the three (...) (25 years ago, 4-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Soda-can challenge: beacons, tethers, etc. (was Re: Locating your position with the help of fixed be —Hao-yang Wang
     (...) clearer pictures of it? I am particularly interested in how the lasso works. (Is it a lasso?) Cheers, Hao-yang Wang (25 years ago, 4-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Soda-can challenge: beacons, tethers, etc. (was Re: Locating your position with the help of fixed be —Robert Munafo
     Thank you for the pointer Joel. I didn't know about it because you didn't mention it in the original message thread (namely, the thread in which you originally proposed the challenge). I am adding a message to that thread now so that future (...) (25 years ago, 5-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Soda-can challenge: beacons, tethers, etc. (was Re: Locating your position with the help of fixed be —Matthew Miller
   (...) Wouldn't that consist of "prior knowledge about the room"? (25 years ago, 5-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)