 Robotics / 5821
Re: Interactive human-controlled bots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:07:33 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Robert Munafo writes:
I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard that you can make your RCX program
respond to three of the buttons on the RCX remote control. You can also (if • you
need more than three commands) use a second RCX as a remote control. I've run
across a couple web sites where people did that. That means for a battle-robot
competition you would need at least 4 RCX's.

Check out the description and pictures of the recent "Robogladiator" event:

   http://www.teamdelta.com/roboglad/index.html

I wasn't there, but it looks like it was fun.  The site shows pictures of 6-
button controllers made up of two RCXes (not counting at least one to control
the vehicle itself!) I'm sure if you were clever about it, you could use a
combination of encoder wheels and buttons to gain a lot more functionality
than just three pushbuttons per RCX, though.

Since that's kind of expensive...

If you can't convince Lego to sponsor the event and loan you a bunch of
bricks, then you need to have a few AFOLs on each team.  Each team member
would bring their RCX, and you'd group 2 or 3 people on a team.

In lugnet.robotics, Todd Lehman writes:
[...]
OTOH, if there were a system which directly connected a host computer's
keyboard to the RCX via a dedicated continuous link, and if the key-commands
mapped to convenient motor controls, then I bet some really fun interactive
combat stuff could be done...  (Has anything like this been done yet?)
[...]

Slightly off-topic, but if anyone in the Boston area wanted to get together
for a "Mindstorms Thunderdome" kind of event, I'd be up for it.  (I've even
got 2 RCXes to bring!)  To make it interesting, maybe we could let the winner
keep all of the Lego pieces that fall off inside the ring...