 Robotics / 5804
5803  |  5805
Subject:
Mechanical question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 19:15:38 GMT

I've been puzzling over this one, and I still don't really understand
it: Why can a bot with tank treads do a turn in place, while a bot with
four wheels geared together so that the front and back wheels on each
side always move together can not? My *expectation* was that the two
were basically identical, but that clearly is not the case. The 'tank'
turns easily; the 'car' just sits there making motor straining sounds.

Is it that the tank treads are harder rubber than the tire wheels, and
so resist sideways motion less?

Or is it that the wheeled version is concentrating all the sideways
force at four points, while the treaded version is spreading the same
force over a much larger area?

Or is it something else entirely?

--

http://www.midnightbeach.com    - Me, my work, my writing, and