 Robotics / 5814
Re: Mechanical question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:03:14 GMT

I was wondering the same thing until a little while ago, I saw a large
(i.e. industrial-sized) remote control vehicle in use by the UK fire
service to fight fires in hazardous areas. The vehicle uses solid low-
grip rubber tyres and four wheels that are narrow track, but large in
diameter compared to it's wheelbase. something like this:

#####   #####
  ---------
  |       |
  ---------
#####   #####

I thought about this for a while then knocked up a Mindstorms 'bot based
on the same idea, using the wheels from an 8828 (There are loads of
other sets with the same wheels) set close together with a two motors on
each side wired together, one driving each wheel (geared 1:1) . This
arrangement gives reasonable torque, and plenty of speed. Works a treat
over deep-pile carpet that used to get caught in tracks, and is much
faster than a tracked vehicle over more solid terrain such as lino or
short-pile carpet.

I use it as a basic 'proving ground' chassis for software
locomotion/detection ideas. After some experimentation I discovered that
the wheels don't have to be that close together, just that they have to
'slip' in the right way.

Regards, Dave.

In article <379CB3DA.5EFD55F4@midnightbeach.com>, Jon Shemitz
<jon@midnightbeach.com> writes
I've been puzzling over this one, and I still don't really understand
it: Why can a bot with tank treads do a turn in place, while a bot with
four wheels geared together so that the front and back wheels on each
side always move together can not? My *expectation* was that the two
were basically identical, but that clearly is not the case. The 'tank'
turns easily; the 'car' just sits there making motor straining sounds.

Is it that the tank treads are harder rubber than the tire wheels, and
so resist sideways motion less?

Or is it that the wheeled version is concentrating all the sideways
force at four points, while the treaded version is spreading the same
force over a much larger area?

Or is it something else entirely?

        /-0-0-\
| Dave Ryder    DaveR@ansuz.nospam.Demon.co.uk  (Remove .nospam to reply) |
|               ...I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...         |