 Robotics / 5666
Re: Technics Compatibility
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 20:40:27 GMT

At 08:30 PM 7/14/99 GMT, Martin Erdelen wrote:
However, can one use more or less indiscriminately all the
Technics stuff, or does one have to be on the lookout for
specific kits only?
Of course, some kits will be more useful than others, but will, • basically,
everything be compatible?

    -Everything will be compatible.  Heck, this is Lego - ThrowBots and
Duplo are compatible with Technic.  The basic yardstick is, "What do you
need?"  If you're just looking for a bundle of parts, try the 8480 Space
Shuttle.  Pricey, but it's got a _lot_ of gears and some nifty stuff that
isn't in the Mindstorms set, including a micromotor, a fiber-optic light
set, a turntable, and the makings of a transmission.  Or, you might be
interested in pneumatics, in which case 8462 Tow Truck might be a good
start.  Also, make sure to get catalogs from both Lego and Pitsco-Dacta,
and browse the parts they offer.
    -But, in general, any Technics kit will be of some use.  The bigger
ones tend to be better buys, as the cost/piece is lower, and they have a
greater percentage of gears, etc.

    -JW

Jonathan Woodward  woodward@guesswork.com  http://www.io.com/~woodward/
"Actors are happy, crew are happy, everybody happy but Zathras... but
    Zathras never happy... Zathras happy once, had friend once, but wheels
    fell off, very sad..." -JMS