 Robotics / 5604
Re: With what to Begin?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 16:51:49 GMT

lego-robotics@crynwr.com wrote in message <68d90c4.24bb2d86@aol.com>...
In my humble opinion, I wouldn't touch those expansion packs with a 10 foot
pole.

I have both and when I got them, there was little to no docs on them.  I
figured I would be getting a Sensor in each.

I would say for the 54.00+tax that the expansions cost, get a motor and a • few
sensors.  RIS comes with 2 touch and a light.

   I agree.  Get a third motor (for each RCX) and get yourself a couple of
rotation sensors.  There are a lot of applications that you will never touch
without the rotation sensors.

Plus if you already have a few of the newer motors, just get a bunch of
sensors, I have 4 Touch, 2 Light, 2 Rotation, and a Temp, strangly enought, • I
want another RCX, 2 more touch and Rotation sensors.  Same with motors, I
have 5 of the new ones and 10+ of the older, 2 micro and still want more.

   And don't forget to budget to get some additional Lego sets to give you
enough bricks, beams, gears, and connectors to actually build some
interesting mechanical devices.  The RIS comes with over 700 pieces, but not
really an excessive number of good old building blocks.  One popular add-on
set which will give you a lot of long beams as well as some interesting
pneumatics is the Technics Search Sub, which is apparently being blown out
at half price on-line.  I know I've seen several user sites that review
other kits that have some good stuff in them.  My initial investment in
actual Mindstorms brand stuff has since been dwarfed by my appetite for more
raw brick, and I even have 2 RCXes!

As for making 2 robots interactive and indepentant, you would need 2 RCXs.

   And you can also use two RCXes to control separate subsystems of a larger
robot.  (Two heads are better than one!)