 Robotics / 5603
Re: With what to Begin?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 16:32:53 GMT

Martin asked:
what makes a good starting combination (considering $$$s
are a limited ressource... ;-)

KGB AgEnT #4 OUT replied:
I would say for the 54.00+tax that the expansions cost, get a motor and a • few
sensors.  RIS comes with 2 touch and a light.

Hari replied:
I agree with KGB (please don't take that literally ;-))
I also do not think the Robotic Expansions are good value for the money.

Actually the MindStorms *IS* a good starting combination.
I had a lot of fun with JUST the parts that comes with the MindStorms.
You may want to save your money until you need more parts, by then you would
know what YOU need/want.

Since you're in Finland, I suppose going to KayBee Toy Store, KMart, or
Target is out of the question.  I regularly found Technic sets for up to 30%
off at those local stores.
Of course beggars can't be choosers, but I discovered with Technic sets:
"Parts are Parts".
Unlike specific sets like Ninja or Adventurer, Technic parts usually can be
mixed up without worrying about where they came from.

Have you considered building a "dumb" robot that just stumbles around?
It would be fun (I have no idea how) to program a "smart" RCX based robot to
catch the "dumb" one!
This way you can have two robots without purchasing a second RCX.

Have fun!
-Hari-