 Robotics / 4951
Re: interest in JVM porting effort
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 21:04:39 GMT

I was merely ruminating on packages that might provide interesting
interfaces/classes, and packages that we can toss out of hand.  I wasn't trying
to imply (although my post did seem that way) that we should implement ALL of
java.io, just that parts of it could be useful.  It could be nice to have the
RCX specific classes implement the existing i/o interfaces to provide a uniform
access from an external development system.  The actual RCX-internals could
care less about streams, but the higher level classes a programmer would use
probably should (if only superficially).

I'm somewhat hampered by a lack of knowledge about the inner workings of the
RCX (a situation I'm working to rectify), so I'm focusing more on the classes a
programmer would use in development later on, rather than the actual JVM.

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (John A. Tamplin) writes:

java.rmi is a real hog in terms of space, since you have to bring in all
the serialization stuff.  I also think java.io is too heavyweight for our
needs, since the display/button interface is too limited to justify streams
and we are better off creating a datagram protocol for the IR link.

That said, I don't think it is terribly important to decide on the actual
set of classes up front.  We will implement the ones that have to be there
for the language to work, and then add others as we have need for them.