 Robotics / 4932
Re: interest in JVM porting effort
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 21:48:49 GMT

BTW, we need to thank a LOT of people, people who gave time to reverse
engineer stuff..

This is all due to HARD work by a lot of people.. lets not loose sight of
how this all was made possible..

Excuse me if this sounded like rambling.. Cause that's what I do.. ramble.
<G>

----- Original Message -----
From: Kekoa Proudfoot <kekoa@pixel.Stanford.EDU>
To: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 1999 5:43 PM
Subject: Re: interest in JVM porting effort

John A. Tamplin <jat@liveonthenet.com> wrote:
I realize there is still ongoing discussion about the "next generation" • OS
for the RCX, but it appears there are two immovable camps.  One camp • wants
to do the minimum work possible and come up with an incremental upgrade • to
the existing firmware.  Another group wants something that provides
everything they can get by writing native C/C++ code under something • like
legOS but gain the advantages of an interpreted environment (compact • size,
avoid relocation issues, error checking, easier development • environment).
I think continued discussion is unlikely to merge these two camps. • Thus,
I expect there will be two projects.

- I agree there will be two projects - if both projects get off the ground
  in the first place

- Partly I disagree with your characterization of the other project; I do
  not think the goals are quite as stated.  The other group wants to (I
  think) design a new byte code based in spirit on the best qualities of
  the old firmware and other places of inspiration (JVM included) and come
  up with an entirely new firmware/byte code/machine model from scratch
  that is dedicated to, specific to, and optimized for the RCX

- Seeing that is a good chance I know a few things about the RCX that • other
  people might now know, I will assist any project might need answers or
  advice regarding technical details of the RCX, or feedback on ways to do
  certain things, especially those currently handled by the ROM

-Kekoa