 Robotics / 4930
Re: interest in JVM porting effort
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 21:43:54 GMT

John A. Tamplin <jat@liveonthenet.com> wrote:
I realize there is still ongoing discussion about the "next generation" OS
for the RCX, but it appears there are two immovable camps.  One camp wants
to do the minimum work possible and come up with an incremental upgrade to
the existing firmware.  Another group wants something that provides
everything they can get by writing native C/C++ code under something like
legOS but gain the advantages of an interpreted environment (compact size,
avoid relocation issues, error checking, easier development environment).
I think continued discussion is unlikely to merge these two camps.  Thus,
I expect there will be two projects.

- I agree there will be two projects - if both projects get off the ground
  in the first place

- Partly I disagree with your characterization of the other project; I do
  not think the goals are quite as stated.  The other group wants to (I
  think) design a new byte code based in spirit on the best qualities of
  the old firmware and other places of inspiration (JVM included) and come
  up with an entirely new firmware/byte code/machine model from scratch
  that is dedicated to, specific to, and optimized for the RCX

- Seeing that is a good chance I know a few things about the RCX that other
  people might now know, I will assist any project might need answers or
  advice regarding technical details of the RCX, or feedback on ways to do
  certain things, especially those currently handled by the ROM

-Kekoa