 Robotics / 4775
Re: LEGO light sensor schematic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 14:16:48 GMT

Previously, you (Michael Gasperi) wrote:
I was kinda hopeing some bright guys like you would figure out what was
wrong with it for me so I wouldn't have to.

Well I couldn't wait.  I broke down and broke into my Light sensor.  All I can
say is don't do it!  The guy that figured out how to package this thing must
wear a straight jacket.  You will break things getting it open.

Other than the already talked about upside down diodes, I found 2 pin numbers
on the Opamp were switched and that was it.  I think it is all correct now. I
fixed up the circuit and added some measured voltages to make things clearer.
There is a little analysis added below the circuit for how I think it works.

Ah... much better, I figured one or two components were backwards.
Just to clean up the schematic a bit you could flip R1 (75R) to the right
side of the Q4. I would also bring R8 (12R) in line with the LED.
This would then be a more standard drawing of a current source.

Is the detector a photo diode or a photo transistor? The transistor
Q17 is fuzzy to me as well ;-) I need to think about it some more...

The transistor Q15 looks to be setup to compensate for the drop between
the collector and emiter of Q14. This would improve the linearity of
the output.

I'd forgive this much complexity if it actually worked better, but I'm not all
that impressed with it.  It never goes down much below 20 and who cares how
linear it is.

http://www.plazaearth.com/usr/gasperi/light.htm