 Robotics / 4784
Re: LEGO light sensor schematic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 19:37:48 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Michael Gasperi writes:
In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com writes:
[snip]

  I'm happy to see that some of my concerns have been born out with these
changes, it looks more like a happy little circuit now.

Is the detector a photo diode or a photo transistor?

I think photo diode used in photovoltaic mode.  It looks like it pushes the
voltage down from that established by the LED.

  Are we sure that the photodiode is located in the schematic correctly?
It doesn't look like its biased on.  The voltage readings are consistant,
or pretty close to, what I would believe is a forward biased diode.  Is it
not biased 'on' normally and we are waiting for a negative voltage to appear
there?

  I have to agree with one of your previous comments.  This seems hopelessly
complex for the job it needs to do...

thanks,
DLC