 Robotics / 4652
Re: My ultimate project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 13:57:55 GMT

Thank you all for the huge support in my (wacky) idea - The Bionic Tortoise (c)

And sorry my English (I'm Portuguese) but after reading the dictionary I found out that my turtle is after all called tortoise in English, although I'm not 100% sure. Anyway, should not make a big difference. :)

I liked Rob's the idea of the free tracks for catching it's feet movements, and in fact I think this is the way to go. It's definitely important for the tortoise to have the idea of movement, although it's brain it's not very intelligent and if you grab her in the air by the shell, she walks in the air like it was on the floor. :-)
As someone pointed out, her head tells everything about her movement and point exactly where she wants to go (except when it moves backwards), but I don't think it's easy to determine where she's looking at.

I really hope I will not disappoint anyone if I say I will not make any serious attempt on this project in the next few weeks, but my life is kinda chaotic these days and I'm serious when I say that I really don't have time to work on it (that's why I call it 'My Ultimate Project').
I will keep this group updated if I manage to build something, but If you have a turtle at home, please try it! (]:)

Just don't let the MindStorms spirit die!! :-)

Laurentino Martins

[mailto:lau@mail.telepac.pt]
[http://www.terravista.pt/Enseada/2808/]