 Robotics / 4516
Re: Steering a robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 17:06:58 GMT

Nick Goetz wrote:

It seems all of my inventions have a right and a left motor used to guide
the direction of a vehicle. I would be interested in having one motor drive
and one motor steer.

Perhaps a differential would work well with this.  Place a differential
between two wheels, and have one motor turn the entire differetial
(moving the vehicle forward or backward), while the other motor only
turns one of the halfshafts (therefore turning the other halfshaft in
the opposite direction when the differential is held stationary).  The
differential can be held stationary by the first motor, set to NOT
"float" when turned off, therefore giving enough resistence to hold it
still.  The motor that is connected to the halfshaft, when not in use,
should be set to "float", so that it doesn't inadvertantly steer the car
when one only wants to go straight.  There would have to be a dummy
motor connected to the other halfshaft to cancel out any parasitic
resistence from the powered motor on the other halfshaft, to keep things
going straight.  Sound plausible?
--
Cheers,
Henry C.