 Robotics / 4524
Re: Steering a robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 20:13:40 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Nick Goetz writes:
Thanks to everyone that responded.  I do indeed have a differential setup on
the rear wheels and a second differential to incorporate the power of two
motors.
   The steering problem is that I don't know how to reset the steering
wheels on the front of the vehicle to straight. I thought about using some
rubber bands. In addition I thought a touch sensor to indicate straight
would work as well. I would be interested in any other suggestions or seeing
other pictures. Thanks!

  On one of my robots I have a light sensor that I use the third motor to
scan to the left and right.  I use a single touch sensor and two cams such
that it knows when it has reached either extreme.  Using the Fwd(), Rev(),
and Off() routines will stop the motor on a dime at that switch point.  This
should work just fine as the centering indicator.  You can use Sleep(N) and
vary N to determine how far to left and right you wish to turn.  When turning
you can use the slipper clutch gear so that even if you hit the end-limits
you won't damage anything, or you can gang touch switches together to also
see the limits being hit.

Works for me! ;-)
DLC