 Robotics / 4540
Re: Steering a robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 14:54:28 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Nick Goetz writes:
Thanks to everyone that responded.  I do indeed have a differential setup on
the rear wheels and a second differential to incorporate the power of two
motors.
   The steering problem is that I don't know how to reset the steering
wheels on the front of the vehicle to straight. I thought about using some
rubber bands. In addition I thought a touch sensor to indicate straight
would work as well. I would be interested in any other suggestions or seeing
other pictures. Thanks!

One of my bots uses a sensos to center the steer. It turns the wheels right or
left putting steering motor on for a while, and when it's time to center
the wheels back it uses a sensor to check the central position.
I also suggest you use a belt-driven steering arrangment to provide a sort of
friction in case your motor is still running when you reach the maximum turn
(especially useful during test phase not to destroy your bot at every test
run!)

You may look at some pictures at my site:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Galaxy/9449/

Mario