 Robotics / 372
Re: Solar-powered RCX?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 22:09:45 GMT

I think the RCX will use which ever supply voltage is greater.  I havn't
tested this, but I'll bet that when you plug the AC adapter into the RCX when
the AC adapter is not even plugged into the wall the RCX will still work.
This means there isn't a mechanical bypass switch built into the RCX's power
receptacle.  You could measure the current on the external supply and
determine if it is running the RCX or not.

Kekoa Proudfoot wrote:

   Is there any easy way to tell when the RCX is uing the enternal power
supply?  I tried using an external power adapter for testing, but
couldn't see and visual display on the LCD to show it was using external
power.

No, there is no way to tell as far as I know.  I believe the choice of
power source is done by circuitry, not logic.

I do believe that the external power supply is used in preference to the
batteries, but this might not really be the case - you might still drain
the batteries somewhat even if you have if you have an external power
supply.  At least, I left my RCX plugged in with batteries, and I believe
my batteries eventually needed replacing, even though I almost exclusively
used the external power supply.

-Kekoa