 Robotics / 399
Re: Solar-powered RCX?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 16:49:56 GMT

Sorry, maybe there is to much engineer in me but are you saying the external power
supply produces low voltage AC and that it is rectified in the brick to DC to run
the system? I can believe it's regulated inside, but it needs DC from the "wall
wart", not AC.

(Can anyone look at their power supply and tell us what it says...?)

Kekoa Proudfoot wrote:

Along the same line, does anyone have the specs on the co-ax power plug
itself? diameter (outside & inside) and the polarity? I dont want to fry my
brick through experimentation...

A plug that fits, with either polarity, 9-12V, ought to work fine.
Capacitors and a rectifier do the conversion for you.  Be careful, but
don't worry about it too much.

(determining if there is circuitry involved should have two steps-looking at
the connector to see if there is the usual mechanical switch and then
looking inside to see if anything is connected to the switch contacts.
Standard electronic practice would have the internal batteries disconected
by the switch when the external power supply is plugged in.)

As far as I know, it's not this simple.  There is no mechanical switch.  I
believe the change from A/C to battery is done with diodes.  As a side
note, it's also fairly tricky to follow traces on the circuit board, since
the board is multi-layered.

-Kekoa