 Robotics / 380
Re: Solar-powered RCX?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 00:33:43 GMT

Along the same line, does anyone have the specs on the co-ax power plug
itself? diameter (outside & inside) and the polarity? I dont want to fry my
brick through experimentation...

Thanks,

Tom

(determining if there is circuitry involved should have two steps-looking at
the connector to see if there is the usual mechanical switch and then
looking inside to see if anything is connected to the switch contacts.
Standard electronic practice would have the internal batteries disconected
by the switch when the external power supply is plugged in.)

Brian Stormont wrote:

Hi,

    How does the RCX handle things when there are batteries installed
and it is also plugged in via the power jack?  Does it use the external
power first?   I was curious if it would be possible to make a solar
panel to power the RCX when there is enough light, but then rely on the
batteries kicking in when the amount of light was not sufficient.

   Is there any easy way to tell when the RCX is uing the enternal power
supply?  I tried using an external power adapter for testing, but
couldn't see and visual display on the LCD to show it was using external
power.

    Any ideas?

-brian