 Robotics / 3653
Re: IR camera?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 01:53:39 GMT

Hi,
yes, I actually had the same idea: use the light sensor on a robot as a
crude mobile low-quality camera, which
sends back scan-lines to the PC via datalog. however, thinking about the
needed IR transmission and the
line-of-sight precondition (you want to send back scan-lines even while
scanning orthogonal to the IR transmission line), led me to another idea.
Given the fact that the physical and logical format of the IR is known, it
should prove possible to use a PalmIII
to communicate with the RCX. So you could attach the Pilot to the robot
and have him control everything.

What do you guys think?

__Reimer

lego-robotics@crynwr.com wrote:

I'm not sure how feasible this would be, but has anyone considered
making a digital camera using the light sensor? All you'd need is
a focusing mechanism with lenses/mirrors, and a couple of motors to
scan left to right and up and down. Sounds easy enough. :)
You could just upload one pixel at a time to the pc via the IR port.
Would this be the "ultimate" project for the RCX? Or maybe a
project to measure the speed of light, a torsion balance, or a
nifty handy-dandy little RCX cyclotron? OK, maybe not a cyclotron.
Maybe a spectrometer. Just wondering what you all think the ultimate
project might be. Personally, I'd like to eventually do an RCX/PC
AI or artificial life project that allows the PC to become self-aware
by investigating and manipulating its environment through the RCX.

Linh
---
linh@xenocom.com