 Robotics / 3688
Re: IR camera?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:45:19 GMT

At 04:52 10-02-1999 Wednesday , you wrote:
lego-robotics@crynwr.com wrote:

Just wondering what you all think the ultimate
project might be. Personally, I'd like to eventually do an RCX/PC
AI or artificial life project that allows the PC to become self-aware
by investigating and manipulating its environment through the RCX.

I nominate a Lego "assembler" as an "ultimate" project for a RCX (or more
likely a group of RCXes with a PC).  I've seen a few Lego brick sorters,
an assembler seems like a logical next step.  Once you have all those
bricks programmatically sorted the assembler program could use this
information to retrieve the bricks and build something.

"Ultimately" it would be cool if this assembler could use standard Lego
CAD program files for instructions.  This way we could not only look at
CAD drawings of each others Lego creations, but we could have an assembler
build them for us (if we wished).

Taking this a step farther, this could flow right into your AI or
Artificial Life project.  Each object that was created with an assembler
would have a "genetic code".  If you provided a way via genetic
algorithms, for these creations to exchange genetic information, and to
pass on to the next generation,  you could watch your Lego creations
evolve. It would probably be a good idea to program in natural death so
the pieces could be re-used.  I can imagine an ecosystem evolving where
the different Lego creatures compete for the scares Lego resources and
somehow a homeostasis is maintained.

What do you think?  Pure fantasy?  If people think it could be done with
Nanotechnology why not Legos?

I'm not an AI expert, so correct me if I'm wrong.
To evolve, you need a purpose and some means to give it a score how it performs in real life.
It would evolve into what? It needs a purpose. And why should it evolve in the first place?
How would you say that "no, this design is no good". Grab the best of this design and try to combine it with the best of previous designs, adding some random data (I believe this is called Genetic Algorithms).
And so on, and so on...

I think you should start by creating some sort of mechanical hand that can grab a part, rotate it if needed and fit it with precision in some place.
It also needs some strength and programming to "understand" how the parts fit and why they sometimes don't fit. [...]

Yeah, that's definitely the ultimate project. :-)

Laurentino Martins

[mailto:lau@mail.telepac.pt]
[http://www.terravista.pt/Enseada/2808/]