 Robotics / 3468
3467  |  3469
Subject:
"synchro drive"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 01:20:15 GMT

I am working on building a platform using the idea from the "Syncho Drive"
(no flamewars about what to call it -- that is what the original poster
had so I am sticking to it).

The problem I am having is that turning one "leg" induces a turn in the
shaft used to supply power to the wheel.  I thought it would be easy to
use a differential to subtract the induced rotation from the shaft, by
gearing the differential body to the turntable.  However, I am running
into a problem trying to achieve this since the inner gearing in the
turntable is too small to get the power shaft and some other gears in,
and the outer gear is 56t.

Poor ASCII drawing to follow:

                           _|_  B
                          |   |
                          |   |
                         ------- C

                  {-------------------}
                D[=====================]

(to wheel via crown gear)

A is the input power from the drive motor.  B is the 16t gear on the
differential, C is the 24t gear on the differential, and D is the 56t gear
on the outside of the lower part of the turntable.

I need to take one complete rotation of D and transform that into half a
rotation in the same direction on either B or C.  That will result in no
turning of A just from turning the turntable, making turning and drive
independent.

The problem is that 56=7*2*2*2, and none of the standard Lego gears have
any way to generate a 7:x ratio.  I am sure I can use another
differential to subtract two other ratios to get 7:1, but this is quickly
getting painful (not to mention the efficiency losses).

Am I missing something simple?  Does anyone have any bright ideas?
Doug's version appears to ignore the problem of turning introducing
movement, but I would like to correct that.

John A. Tamplin Traveller Information Services
jat@Traveller.COM 2104 West Ferry Way
256/705-7007 - FAX 256/705-7100 Huntsville, AL 35801