 Robotics / 3497
Re: "synchro drive"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 06:31:09 GMT

Gord Goebel wrote:

Here's my two cents worth:

Doug Carlson wrote:

I'm not sure I follow the problem in the design I used.
One feature which isn't spelled out on my page is that each wheel
is offset from the center of its turntable by a distance equal to the wheels
radius.

Excellent idea! :)

Wish it was mine.  :-)

When the turntable turns (while the vertical drive shaft is static) the wheel just • runs
in circles equal to its diameter and the vehicle doesn't move at all.

It seems to me that you must have accidentally hit on the right ratios between the
size of the wheel and the sizes of the bevel gears since the problem is caused by the
wheel's bevel gear turning as it rotates around the bevel gear on the stationary
vertical drive shaft...

I just used the 12T miter gears. 1:1 with the wheel offset equal to the wheel radius.I was
just lucky that it fit the turntable so well.

If you drive both the steering and main drive systems at the same time the whole
vehicle
runs in a circle (while still 'facing' the same direction) the diameter of which

What if you WANT to change the direction it's facing? I guess a turret is the only
feasible answer. hmmm?

I think the point of this platform is that it's handy to always have a directional
reference.Kind of a built in compass. At least until the errors creep in.
It would be pretty easy for the turret to track the direction of travel and maybe even
use the Adder/Subtracter to deviate left or right when useful.

can be changed
by the the ratio of main drive speed to turning drive speed. So you can 'turn' on
a point or any radius you might choose.

Or a parabola.

One other benefit of this offset design  is that the wheel contact point is not
'scrubbed'

That's why it's an excellent idea. ;)

:-)

as would be the case with a center mounted wheel when the turntable rotates.
I have also read of a design using a differential between two wheels per
'turntable' to
equalize the load on the wheels.

Excuse me for being a nit picker but the idea is to equalize the load on the turntable

Actually not, I think it was wheel deformation caused by non-uniform loading that wasthe
issue. This caused some extra tracking errors. But I agree that with a LEGO platform
it may be more important to equalize the load on the turntable. Especially if the wheel is

offset more from the center.

-- Doug

Gord Goebel <gggii@passport.ca>
DataJack Consulting