 Robotics / 27526
Re: NXT programming with Logo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2008 08:24:38 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, "Erik Nauman" <ENauman@HewittSchool.org> wrote:
While I prefer teaching programming with text-based
applications it sounds from the responses to the NXT-G print to text
thread that there are benefits to both approaches.

I used to use Terrapin Logo and MicroWords on the RCX.  Haven't used either on
the NXT.  If only to get kids to think in a lambda-calculus programming
language, I'd pop for fee based MicroWorlds.  Unfortunately, the spirit is
willing, but the school budget is weak.  For code-based programming, we have
freeware BricxCC and NQC/NXC.  RobotC is another option specially for FIRST Tech
Challenge.  Of course there's java, pbLua, and through Microsoft Robotics Studio
1.5: C#, J#, VPL and any language that translates through .Net framework.

I've found NXT-G to be a very good platform on which to start out a 9 year old.
I had two in summer camp this past week (a boy and a girl).  They teamed up and
built TriBot.  They finished all the build, program and test activities
associated with Tribot.  Towards the end of the week, they were attempting to
catch a ball rolled onto TriBot's arms at varying angles and speeds.