 Robotics / 2722
  Synchro drive in Lego

Hello all Synchro enthusiasts, I am very impressed. I am very interested the progress on this thing. I only had enough parts to build one section(waiting on more parts). I would like to contribute some thoughts in making this project better. I'm (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Synchro drive in Lego

I like the synchro also, but I need a good explanation of what synchro means in this context. I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and missed the synchro class I guess! (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Synchro drive in Lego

My take on it, A synchro drive is where all wheels are always facing the same direction and turn(about the vertical axis) with each other so that the platform can go in any direction. This can be illustrated by the pictures I have seen on the (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Synchro drive in Lego

In article <369CD0FF.700F5D9E@a...hell.com>, Paul Speed <pspeed@augustschell.com> writes (...) [comprehensive description of synchro drive snipped] How long has synchro drive meant that? What I call a synchro is a master-slave single rotary (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Synchro drive in Lego

Heh, Hey, if a group of people want to call a rose a rock, and I'm talking to those people then I will also call it a rock. :) But seriously, can you think of a better name for it? :) -Paul (Who only calls 'em like he sees 'em.) (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Synchro drive in Lego

(...) Hrm... how would you manage that? I cannot think of any purely mechanical approach that could do the trick. (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Alternative Mindstorm Robotwars

After being involved in numerous Mindstorm Robotwars discussions and received feedback/enquiries, I came up to a few ideas. Besides the Gladiator-Robotwars type of knock-out competition that aims to disable opponents, there are a few more (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Synchro drive in Lego

(...) Well, apparently, neither can I. :) Or I would have done it and posted it. :) I played with some stuff last night that ended in a dead-end. I'm not really sure the approach is fruitless, but I'm realizing as I go on that I'm much less creative (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Synchro drive in Lego

(...) could you not (I haven't tried this!) use a ratchet on the assembly so that axle rotation one way turns the assembly, and the other way drives the wheel? Stuart -- Did you check the web site first?: (URL) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Synchro drive in Lego

(...) Yeah, but I can't think of a good way to ratchet the assembly. -Paul (pspeed@augustschell.com) (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Unidirectional gearing - was Synchro drive in Lego

Here's a really simple (but not fool-proof way): Feed the motor output into a differential gear. The output from the differentials run out through beams and have a medium gear just outside the beam. Then suspend another beam from one end using a (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Unidirectional drive (was Re: Synchro drive in Lego)

(...) Yup, that'd work. But it would have the annoying side-effect of making a heck of a lot of noise as the ratchet went from tooth to tooth. Is there any way to minimize that? (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Unidirectional drive (was Re: Synchro drive in Lego)

(...) It would only do it when turning the assembly, not driving the robot. So it might be acceptable. I don't think I have the parts to try this unfortunately. -Paul (pspeed@augustschell.com -- Did you check the web site first?: (URL) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Synchro drive in Lego

use 2 ratchet gears: one slips when you are driving the wheels, the other slips when you are driving the platform, but both ratchets never slip simultaneously (unless the bot is broken) (...) ---...--- Zachary Bourk UCSD, EE (...) (25 years ago, 15-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Synchro drive in Lego

Assuming I have got the design spec right (ie, a wheel which can turn 360+ degrees and drive independently), I have managed to build one from just the Mindstorms bits. But it needs two motors at the moment, since I haven't got a differential left to (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)