 Robotics / 27208
Re: Two New GBC Modules..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2007 21:15:08 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Kevin McClure wrote:

Ball Pump: http://youtube.com/watch?v=aVWVDZZiok8

Very nice... actually, impressively quiet compared to some that I've tried. Any
pictures of the interal mechanism? And how is it on jamming? I really like the
way you left one corner of the lift tower open, it just looks so much better
with the ball motion visible. When I finally get a ball pump working that I
like, I think that's an idea I'll use.

Stepper: http://youtube.com/watch?v=-9zIIW3M1Nc

Nice implementation (and another type of lift I realized I've actually not built
as yet... to my chagrin). I think Steve Hassenplug got around the hopper jamming
(well, partially) by having the lift "saw" extend along one wall of the input
hopper. I really want to make a double or triple wide version of this as well
(alternating - left side as a counterweight for the right side, etc.)

the switches are based off of Brian Davis' design.

Have you tried using them to split the stream? With that arrangement, you can
get all sorts of non-equal ratios of output streams for interesting
arrangements. And some of your modules can not only handle higher-than-spec
throughputs, but multiple inputs as well (the one in the back of the "full loop"
video, based on the train unloader, is a good example of this - it can actually
accept an input stream from any of the four sides).

Downstream of this, it looks like the balls roll over small steps or an uneven
but wide chute - what is that?

The funnel...

...is, very simply. cool. Nice implementation!

Wave: http://youtube.com/watch?v=GwIWOEZxH94

The motion on this one is almost hypnoticly smooth. I made one of these a long
time ago, but never thought to trim it to 1x2's (mine was much clunkier,
hand-driven, and based on 2x2's with a 1x2 plate on top... but ironicly inspired
by exactly the site you mention). How much wear is there on the bottom of the
1x2 stacks, or on the pulleys? The motion seems remarkably smooth, and I was
curious if there were something like a 1x2 plate on the bottom or some speciall
spacing needed. Making the "crankshaft" looks like it was a bit of an
inspiration as well.

As to a "GBC" newsgroup here on LUGNET, well... it's almost more fun watching
the GBC bleed over into everything else :-). I would like to document a bunch of
modules really well and put them on the web sometime... when time permits. But
first I've got just this one thing I thought I'd build...

--
Brian Davis