 Robotics / 27209
Re: NXTway DS powered by LEJOS OSEK
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2007 00:16:30 GMT

Hi Steve,

It's my great pleasure to receive a reply from the father of Legway!
(Everything was started from your great work)

Could you (or one of the other LEJOS developers) do me a favor?  A
few months back, I created a page that lists different types of NXT
software, including an early version of LEJOS:
http://www.teamhassenplug.org/NXT/NXTSoftware.html

I'd like to update it with info about the latest version, so if you
could look over the LEJOS info and tell me of any corrections I need
to make, that would be great.

Also, something that should take less than an hour is writing up a
sample program, using the specs listed on this page...
http://www.teamhassenplug.org/NXT/NXTSoftwareSpeedTest.html

I think a sample from LEJOS will be a great addition to the software page.
Please use the following answers.

Features: LEJOS OSEK
Language type: ANSI C/C++
Firmware: Custom
IDE(included?): Eclipse CDT(GCC+ATMEL SAM-BA)
Windows: Yes
Mac OSX: No
Linux: No (but may be?)
Events: Yes (OSEK RTOS)
Multithreading: Yes (OSEK RTOS)
Bluetooth Brick to PC: Yes
Bluetooth Brick to Brick: Not Yet
I2C Support: Yes (so far, only US Sensor)
File System: Not planned
Floating Point: Yes
Datalog: Not yet
How to get it: Free download from LEJOS OSEK Site
<http://lejos-osek.sourceforge.net/>
What do you want to do...
Write "Fast" programs: Yes
Learn Advanced Programming concept: Yes
Suited For: Embedded software programmer, C/C++ programmer
Test Program...
Speed(loops/min): Avg. 334k (When LCD is updated every 16msec)
Memory (bytes): 18144byte (includes LEJOS OSEK firmware)
Time to write: 60min (30 minutes required to optimize LCD display)

I will send sample program via e-mail soon.
Concerning the result of Test Program, I have to admit a trick was required
to speed up the performance. The bottle neck of the performance is LCD display
handling, If I refresh the LCD every time I called a LCD display function, LCD
display interrupt occupies the cpu, thus performance was terribly decreased.
LEJOS OSEK does not provide sophisticated API such as RobotC, so user needs to
optimize it (but, it may be a big fun of hacking).

Through this work, I recognized that RobotC folks made a really great work
on RobotC VM (it is amazingly fast VM)

Takashi

P.S. The name of the project (LEJOS OSEK) may make readers misunderstand LEJOS
OSEK. I am not a member of leJOS project team. I just re-use their great
platform C code to make LEJOS OSEK. (I didn't want to hide where the LEJOS OSEK
platform source code came from, so I use the name of LEJOS)