 Technic / 15841
Re: Two New GBC Modules..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:26:12 GMT

   In lugnet.technic, Jean-Marc Nimal wrote:
   I wonder if regular cams (6575) might work too, I don’t see why not... hummmm...

In lugnet.technic, Jordan Bradford wrote:
   Speaking of remorseless shameless copying, I spent an hour and half last night trying to build the crankshaft.

I can’t figure out the pattern those pulley wheels are using, especially how much space is between them. It doesn’t look like the space is always the same, but maybe that’s because you had the same troubles I was having. Sometimes a 4-stud axle is too long, and a 3-stud axle is usually too short. Bah!

It’s hard to tell from that picture, but pause the video and you’ll see the balls run up at a 6-stud spacing. That means the peaks of the wave are six studs apart.

The cams are spaced with one pulley plus a half bush, so are spaced exactly one stud apart.

This means that he’s using the six holes of the pulleys to align them in 60° rotations (6 x 60° = 360°).

You couldn’t replicate this with cams as they can only be fitted at 90° angles. You could try it, but it may not be a smooth enough movement when you take into account the rising slope.

Jason R