 Robotics / 27159
Re: Brickworld 2007 - Indy 5.00
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2007 18:53:59 GMT

[Sorry, I know this is a duplicate for some of you on the mailing list, but I
wanted to answer this in LUGNET and hadn't realized before this is where the
email came from. My bad.]

JohanTStrandberg wrote:

"the bumper should be at the height of the red Technic beam
in this figure"... Does this mean that a the design must use a
studded beam?... Does this mean that the bumper must only
be front and back?

The bumper can be studded or studless, and could certainly extend around the
vehicle altogether if you so desired. The *spirit* or the rules is for you to
have a front and rear bumper (at least) that would "bump" (not lock or snag)
with the standard bumper, as shown in the figure.

"The goal is to keep competitors from becoming entangled or locked
together during a race."... If the answer to (2) is that there is only a
front and rear bumper required, it would seem that entanglement
would be quite likely.

You'd think so, but in practice that rarely seems to happen (although it
certainly could). This is partially because most people end up with smooth sides
to prevent this (but we didn't want to have a ludicrously detailed set of rules
to fully define this), and partially because more often then not, the
opportunities for "entanglement" are rare - only when one car is passing
another, actually, which if you think about it isn't all that often (perhaps, in
a really uneven race, 3 or 4 times, maximum).

If both robots are calibrated to center on the middle gray
part of the track, it is quite possible that one bot will
consistently block the other one. I assume that this is an
OK strategy?

Yep. Another strategy that isn't explicitly disallowed would be a "blocking"
strategy, of actively *trying* to remina in front of a faster opponent... but
since in general the faster opponent, which placed better in the time trails,
gets to choose starting position, such a "pure blocking strategy" is likely to
result in ensuring that you loose by exactly one lap (faster car catches up to
the slower car, and is then trapped behind them).

Is a bot allowed to travel in the reverse direction on
the track? Does reverse tracks count?

Nope, forward only - if everybody is going backward, that would obviously be a
reason for a re-start (i.e., something traumatic must have happened).
Alternatively, if two competitors can manage, without collisions or crosings the
center, to both get reversed and moving backwards... well, let's just say I
doubt they will be in the running for one of the winner's slot :-).

Can a bot intentionally try to run the competitor of
the track?... in real racing there are specific rules
against such behavior.

Actually, I'm not sure it is specificly excluded... BUT, not very importantly
the last section of the BW rules, which always say essentially "rules are
subject to interpretation by the judges ON SITE". If you think your technique is
likely to get you disqualified, then either don't do it, or at the very least
make sure you have a backup technique. Personally, I'd like to see such a
strategy tried (I can think of some ways to do it, but I'm not sure you could
win with it), but while it might be fun to demo, it might be rather risky to
assume everybody's "OK" with it. Get my drift?

--
Brian Davis