 Robotics / 27158
Re: Brickworld 2007 - Indy 5.00
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2007 17:19:22 GMT

(1)  "the bumper should be at the height of the red Technic beam in this figure"

Does this mean that a the design must use a studded beam? (A stud-less
beam is not as "tall" as the beam in the image.)

(2) "The bumper must be straight and not angled or sloped (i.e., it
must be perpendicular to the direction of motion), and must extend
across the entire width of the vehicle."

Does this mean that the bumper must only be front and back? (The side
bumper would obviously not be perpendicular to the direction of
motion.)

(3) "The goal is to keep competitors from becoming entangled or locked
together during a race."

If the answer to (2) is that there is only a front and rear bumper
required, it would seem that entanglement would be quite likely. (
i.e., one bumper hooking another one as robots move sideways on the
track while trying to follow the gradient.)

(4) If both robots are calibrated to center on the middle gray part of
the track, it is quite possible that one bot will consistently block
the other one. I assume that this is an OK strategy?

(5) "If at any time during the race a robot either is unable to
continue (crashes, stops, breaks) or crosses the inner or outer
boundary,"

Is a bot allowed to travel in the reverse direction on the track? Does
reverse tracks count? (If reverse tracks don't count and all remaining
bots on the track are going backwards -- think "crash" -- then the
race will never end.)

(6) Can a bot intentionally try to run the competitor of the track? (I
don't quite know how to judge "intentionality" in this case, but in
real racing there are specific rules against such behavior.)

--j